Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Slack, Inc Trip

I found the trip to Slack, Inc to be VERY rewarding. I have no real experience in publishing and didn’t really know what to expect when I walked into the building. The most interesting part of the trip took place before the tour even began. While sitting around the conference table, I learned about what departments make up a company. I knew that someone obviously needed to edit and review the works in magazines, brochures, etc before publication, but I had no idea how many “little” projects, such as event flyers and cards, also needed the attention of editors.
When Mr. Jeckel spoke about online publication and design, I was shocked to learn that there were only four Macintosh computers in the whole building. The work in the building is done completely on PCs. I had been under the false impression that the world of computer design is dominated by Macs. Apparently, this is not the case.
I realize everyone else is going to mention this, but it’s hard ignore how silent the workers in the building were. I understand that thinking requires quiet and concentration, but would one would expect to hear shuffling of papers, phones ringing, and occasional side conversations in an office-atmosphere. While walking, it seemed as though the entire building was unoccupied.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home