Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Slack Inc.

Last Tuesday, the class took our second field trip to Slack, which gave me a flash back of my youth, while looking ahead to the future. That sounds confusing. Let me explain. First off, I’ve learned time and time again to never judge a book by its cover. We all learned this, back in our elementary school days, but it tends to resurface throughout our lives. Slack, a relatively small, not so big deal building on the outside, near a busy street and loud cars is quite the opposite once you walk inside. Slack is big, organized, classy, and oh yeah extremely quiet on the inside. Secondly, I was taken back to high school days during the presentation from the highly professional and educated employees at Slack. Confused again? The speakers each made it a point to say how important it is to fit in their environment if you work there. For example, Dave, the Director of Internet Services, said if he had two interviews and one was highly educated with tons of experienced, but was too cocky and the other had less experienced, but was nice and a better “fit”, he’d probably higher the latter. Just when I threw away my pom-poms and homecoming queen crown, I have to worry about fitting in at a job place too. As if interviews aren’t scary enough, just another important aspect, I will have to remember. Maybe I’m being too ignorant. The Slack employees’ words about hiring techniques and job roles did make me think. Was I ready? They, after all are the ones in the real world already, not me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home