Sunday, February 25, 2007

Reaction to Slack, Inc.

Okay, I definitely had no expectations for our trip to Slack, Inc. The whole layout publishing world is very new to me. I am currently taking Pub Layout, ironically with Professor Houck, and I actually really like it. I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s like a secret society that no one knows about unless they have an interest and take the time to check it out. I always obviously knew publishing existed, because I really love to read, but I never understood the whole process or appreciated it-at least from the design perspective.
What was most surprising to me about our trip to Slack was that not only are they a major player in medical publishing, but they are in our very own backyard. I honestly never knew they existed. I work in the medical field, specifically in orthopedics, and was surprised to learn that our doctors (over 50 of them) are avid readers of Slack’s publications. I also got the feeling that you have to be a certain kind of person to work in layout, design, or editing, because everyone there seemed very quiet and focused.
Walking around that building made me realize that you have to be a very independent worker in the field, because each person has their own deadlines and objectives to meet. Yet, at the same time, you have to be able to work with your team and other departments, because each one builds toward the finished project. So, there is a lot of reliance on each other and trust. To be honest, the most shocking thing to me was how quiet the environment was there, because my job is incredibly loud. Overall, it was a rewarding learning experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home