Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Reaction to B & N

The Barnes and Noble Store was everything I expected it to be, but the people who worked with and for Barnes and Noble were more interesting. I was surprised that the employees have story time three times a week. It was fascinating to hear the breakdown of a book and that approximately fifty percent of the book’s price is from the retailer. It puts a lot of the prices in perspective, because I did not expect a lot of mark-up for books. Although from working in retail store, Aeropostale where the jewelry mark-up is over two-hundred percent I should have known.
The specific terms were useful in understanding the process of a book, and how it comes to be on the shelves. I always thought I might possibly write a children’s book of stories, now I know if I do, the book would have a shelf life of only ninety days. So I better write a good book! The author Jonathan Maberry was extremely interesting and I thought he gave out a lot of useful information as an outsider coming into the publishing business. He explained how much marketing truly goes into a book, and that the author’s title is rarely used. Maberry gave many tips for how to start out in the business and even ways to contact him for further information. I truly enjoyed this trip and all that it had to offer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home