Tuesday, January 30, 2007

my recap

I thought the trip to Barnes & Noble was great. To be honest, I didn’t know what to expect before arriving. I figured the 90 minutes would be filled with normal book stuff I already knew. Since prior to this, I’ve only really thought about bookstores as a consumer, not the producer, I was surprised by a number of things that were discussed – like B&N’s process of ordering new books. I thought having the Community Relations Manager speaker was a great idea – it’s an area of public relations I’ve never thought about.
My favorite part, however, was the author, Jonathan Maberry. I thought he shared some great advice and didn’t attempt to beat around the bush with how difficult it can be to publish books. I found it interesting how little control he had over his books after he finished writing. I always thought writers had more control over their books, since it is his/her writing. Apparently not!
I also thought it was great that he gave advice from all sides of the industry. I’ve never imagined myself becoming a book writer, but I was inspired by his talk to look more into it. Hopefully future speakers will take our varied backgrounds and career aspirations into consideration as well and be as beneficial.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home