Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Slack, Inc. - now with more cubicles!

          I was impressed by Slack, Inc. from the first moment I walked through the doors of their building. The giant logo on the wall behind the semi-circle reception desk reminded me of something done in movies to let the audience know “hey, this is a big and important business here.” After having driven through plenty of wooded areas, I kind of wondered what in the world Slack was doing there.

          The human resources manager who greeted us, Robin (I hope that’s how she spells it), was very nice, and I’m glad I was part of her tour group later on as well. I have to admit though, when we first walked into that conference room and found a huge meeting table and a line of employees lined up against the wall waiting for us, I had to pause for a moment. It kind of felt like we were about to go before the firing squad.

          Thankfully, the Slack employees were very nice. I like the fact that they were completely open and honest about their jobs and what working for Slack entails. I did feel a bit intimidated though, and wondered if I would ever be accepted to work at a place like Slack.

          As our tour group wound its way through the forest of cubicles, we seemed to slowly be losing numbers. It seemed most people knew one or more of the inhabitants of the cubicles, so the handful of us that stayed with the tour guide started playing “Cubicle Survivor.” In the end, I think only three of us didn’t get drawn away by the lure of the cubicle.

          Overall, I really enjoyed our visit to Slack, Inc. I feel that I learned a lot, and received valuable insight into the inner workings of a publishing company. I wouldn’t mind working for Slack one day, although I might have to tear down a few of the cubicle walls first.

-Erin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home