Tuesday, February 27, 2007

SLACK FIELD TRIP

I’m not exactly sure what I was picturing Slack Inc. to be like, but it was no where near what I had expected. From the outside Slack looked like a normal office building, however the inside reminded me something of a maze. There were so many tiny cubicles every where you turned. The people we met all seemed friendly and you could tell they enjoyed their jobs.

I found the presentation we received to be very informative. I was surprised to learn that Slack employs approximately 250 people. It seems to me that publishing 42 journals and newspapers and 54 websites would take a much larger staff. I also liked seeing how all the departments worked together in some way or another. One thing I found interesting was that the editor is sometimes responsible for the entire publication, beginning to end. I thought the graphic designers would always take care of the layout and design. I also found it interesting that Slack has an entire team to focus solely on the internet. I always thought that whoever wrote the article would have to ensure it made it on the website.

Although I found this trip informative, Slack is not a place I could see myself working. To me, the atmosphere was kind of dull. The never ending maze of cubicles and the silence would be enough to drive me crazy. I’m the type of person who needs to work in a place that is a lot more lively. I also wouldn’t like the idea of working in a cubicle. My current position requires that I work in one and I find it very distracting when I’m trying to get work done. I constantly struggle to block out the sounds of other people’s conversations, music, etc. I want to be able to have silence when I need it, but then take a break from that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home