Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Times vs. The Inquirer

          I was pleasantly surprised by our trip to the Gloucestor County Times offices. The people in the newsroom were friendly, and it was really neat to be given a tour by the Editor-in-Chief himself. When he showed us their press I was reminded of our visit to Rovani Graphics. I was surprised to see how much paper they use though: those rolls were huge. I was actually impressed by how much of every aspect of the process Gary knew about. I guess I figured as Editor-in-Chief he would know a little about the presses and the other machinery and such, but I didn’t think he’d know all the ins and outs like that.

          I also had the opportunity to visit the South Jersey offices of the Philadelphia Inquirer on Thursday, and it was very interesting to compare the two. The Inquirer’s offices were so quiet! Apparently we had come at a time when most of the reporters were out getting stories, but even so most of the cubicles (those things are everywhere) were completely empty. The editor showing us around mentioned that they had suffered several big layoffs lately, but as a whole their offices seemed much more quiet and introspective than the Gloucestor County Times offices. The Times’ offices seemed much more alive and friendly. The pizza and getting to speak with Rowan grads helped too. ^_~ But it was interesting to be able to compare the two newsrooms.

-Erin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home