Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Wish you were here!

I knew a little about Slack, Inc. prior to our trip because Cara Dickinson, my co-copy editor for the Whit last year and a 2006 graduate, works there. She had explained to me that her job included a lot of lay out and editing, which are two things I’m also heavily interested in. She also said the job was often boring and very quiet.
I didn’t realize just how quiet her job was until we took the tour. You could have heard a pin drop. No one was even playing music. I’m not sure if the employees were just that quiet or if there’s a rule against noise – I just know that I would not be able to work in an environment that quiet.
However, I liked the cubicles. I have a thing for cubicles, to be honest. I like having my own personal space that no one else can touch. But, again, I would want to be able to add my own touches to it. It seemed like some of the employees had done this, but many had not.
Besides the lack of sound, I thought the trip to Slack was informative. I liked that we heard from all of the different aspects of Slack. I know that I, for one, really enjoyed that because I could see myself working in a few of the departments, including the writing and the marketing departments. I also thought it was interesting that each person said aspiring employees should be 'detail-oriented.' I know that's an important trait, but I didn't expect every single person to mention it.
Slack seemed like a place I wouldn’t mind working to get my feet wet – at least if I could play music. If I couldn’t play music, I think I’d go crazy.

1 Comments:

At March 1, 2007 at 11:10 PM , Blogger AmyR said...

I think we should all post comments.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home