Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Barnes and Noble Visit

The Barnes and Noble visit shed a whole new light from the behind the scenes of the bookstore business. A fascinating fact I learned was that about 8% of sales are from backlist titles. I think its great that famous books are still being sold.
I also did not know that Barnes and Noble have their own publishing system to publish reprints, which makes their brand of books cheaper for the consumer. I also learned that most books printed before 1900 are not covered under a copyright. This came as a shock to me because I was not aware that there were books without copyrights.
Jonathan Mayberry is a very experienced author. He seems to be very savvy of his profession in writing and in helping authors get published. I agree with him entirely, that a good cover on a book and a catchy title will get a potential buyer to look at your book.
Overall my experience to Barnes and Noble was a well-informed event. I learned important information that pertains to my business plans for my future, by meeting a lead bookseller from Barnes and Noble and an independent author.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home