Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Barnes & Noble Field Trip

I was surprised, after almost two years of employment at Barnes and Noble in Deptford, at the amount of new information that was presented to me about the store and how it is operated. I had heard the terms “frontlist” and “backlist” before, but was not entirely sure what they meant, or how it was determined which category a title would fall under. I was also aware that an “e-shop” was conducted at manager meetings, but did not know what that entailed. I now fully understand the process of receiving and returning retail product within the store.
I very much enjoyed the insight Terri Walsh offered into her Graduate program at Rosemont. I did not know that Publishing was such an obscure major at the Graduate level. It was also very reassuring to hear that Publishing is an industry for all areas of interest, whether you are talented in art, writing, editing, music, etc.

I found Jonathan Maberry to be extremely interesting. I was impressed by his levels of experience and success. As an English major I have been asked repeatedly what I plan to do with my degree. When others learn that I do not plan to teach, they are confused as to what can been done with a Bachelor’s in English. Mr. Maberry is proof that writing and editing skills open up a wealth of professional opportunities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home